Wassup?! It’s Ezra again! Back on Ezra’s Everything Spot for what you probably didn’t see coming… Another genealogy post!! I haven’t done a genealogy post in forever…………………………. But that’s okay because here we are. Kaelyn has been doing a great job on all of her posts, and I don’t know about you guys but I really enjoy her genealogy posts. Thank you Kaelyn!! Honestly the reason I hadn’t done one in so long is because I couldn’t think of what to write about. By the way, if you guys ever have any ideas for posts or just the blog in general then please pop me a comment. So if you guy have anything you want to know about genealogy then please let me know so I can help you out and that will give me something to post about. Now let’s begin!
Aren’t you always wishing you were the descendant of a president or a king or any very important person (besides the fact that God, the most important person ever is literally your dad)? Well, technology is now helping us with genealogy so much, to where we can pretty much look up any person that has ever existed before and find out if you are related to them… And today, that’s what I’m going to show you how to do in less than 10 minutes.
Before we can do this, there is something you need to do. You need to make an account on Family Search. It is my favorite genealogy website for many reasons but primarily because it’s free. I like it even better than Ancestry (yes, I have Ancestry now; it’s my Grandma’s account but she lets me use it and help her with research). Granted, I’m still figuring out some of the tools on Ancestry, but from what I can tell I prefer Family Search. It is so easy to make an account on, so please do so and you will be on the road to awesome discoveries. You can make an account here. Don’t worry. The only reason they have you put your DOB is for genealogy reasons. Seriously, I completely trust Family Search. So, if you have an account then we can move on,
and if you don’t then you can move out and leave the post…..
- Look up your favorite person in history on a search engine.
2. Sign in to Family Search then hover your mouse over the “Search” page and then click on “Family Tree.”
3. Next, just enter the name, date of birth and place of birth into Family Search (if it is a president it is helpful to put “President” in the name.
4. Then click “Find.” If none of the people that pop up look like they match, then try to be more specific with your search. For example, enter the spouse or when and where he/she died.
5. Now, click on the name of the one that looks the most similar to what it says on the search engine and click “Person”. For example, I am picking the second one it shows, because it looks the most similar to what the search engine said.
6. Lastly, click on “View My Relationship” in the upper left corner of the profile. You now know whether or not you are related to your favorite person in history!!
If this didn’t work, then it is either one of two reason. 1 you have not put in enough of your family on your Family Tree that it doesn’t have a way of showing your relationship, or 2 your relationship with them is so far away that it’s more than 15 generations away from you, or people haven’t put in enough information about that person’s Family Tree. So, there are some flaws about it sometimes. However, it worked for me just now (Abe Lincoln is like my great great great great great uncle or something)! More often than not it will work. Oh, by the way, Abraham Lincoln isn’t my favorite person in history; I was just using him as an example XD.
Did it work for you?? Tell me about it!
I hope liked this post! Make sure to let me know your results if you try this. Thank you so much for reading!
Make sure you smash the follow button so you don’t miss out on any cool posts like this!! I will talk to you later! -Ezra